NBC News New York Covers SWAN Day at Lincoln Center!
Original Broadcast: March 28, 2009 on the 6 O’Clock News
On Saturday, March 28, 2009, leading Broadway theatre artists celebrated SWAN Day 2009 with a special panel presentation at the New York Public Library at Lincoln Center. NBC News 4 in New York covered the event, and ran the clip above as part of their 6 o’clock news.
SWAN Day at Lincoln Center was presented by New York’s League of Professional Theatre Women in conjunction with Curtain Call, their stunning exhibit in the library’s gallery featuring the work of 110 women costume, set, and lighting designers from the 1890’s to 2009. Broadway designer Carrie Robbins and Barbara Cohen- Stratyner of the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts worked for three years to assemble this exhibit which features many design sketches side-by-side with the completed costumes. The NBC clip includes some shots of costumes in the exhibit.
The clip also shows Martha Richards, Executive Director of The Fund for Women Artists at the podium, and the seated SWAN Day panelists (left to right):
- Robyn Goodman – producer of In the Heights, winner of the 2008 Tony Award for Best Musical, founder of Second Stage Theatre;
- Leigh Silverman – director of Well, Beebo Brinker Chronicles;
- Lisa Kron – playwright/performer with 2 Tony nominations for her Broadway production of Well;
- Carrie Robbins – costume designer of over 30 Broadway shows including the original production of Grease;
- Holly Hynes – costume designer for the New York City Ballet; and
- Barbara Cohen-Stratyner – Director of Exhibitions for the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts.