The Hot Pink Pen’s Guide to Films With Women Writers or Directors
As part of our campaign to increase the visibility of women artists, we have asked Brooklyn-based film critic Jan Lisa Huttner (also known as “The Hot Pink Pen”) to write reviews for our website of films written and/or directed by women. Please see the menu in the sidebar of this page for links to all of Jan’s reviews.
Read the Latest Reviews by The Hot Pink Pen – Jan Lisa Huttner
- THIS IS EVERYTHING: GIGI GORGEOUSRenowned documentarian Barbara Kopple teams up with Youtube star Gigi Gorgeous to bring Gigi’s gender transition to the screen. From her Youtube channel’s beginnings in makeup tutorial videos, we follow ... Read more
- HIDDEN FIGURESHidden Figures, directed by Theodore (Ted) Melfi and co-written with Allison Schroeder, recounts the inspiring story of three black women who helped NASA advance in the Space Race. Taraji P. Henson ... Read more
- FIRST LADY OF THE REVOLUTIONAnother wonderful "who knew" documentary. The focus this time is on Henrietta Boggs. Raised to be a decorous Southern Belle, Henrietta's rebellious energy crashed up against convention. She fled her home in Alabama ... Read more
- BADEN BADEN (2016)
Read More Reviews by The Hot Pink Pen!
You can find more reviews by Jan Lisa Huttner in the following places:
- Visit The Hot Pink Pen Pinterest page for pictures and links to Jan’s Top Picks
- Visit The Hot Pink Pen website where you will find an alphabetical index to all of Jan’s film reviews.
- Browse her archives on the WomenArts website by clicking on any film title in the list in the right margin of this page.
- Purchase Jan’s book, Penny’s Picks: 50 Movies by Women Filmmakers (2002-2011), a collection of reviews (many of which were originally posted by WomenArts) along with historical articles providing background on WITASWAN/SWAN Day, from Amazon in paperback and for Kindle readers.
About Jan Lisa Huttner, The Hot Pink Pen
After 35 years in Chicago, Jan Lisa Huttner has relocated to Brooklyn where she continues to advocate for women directors and screenwriters battling the “Celluloid Ceiling.”
Huttner is the Managing Editor of Films for Two: The Online Guide for Busy Couples (www.films42.com), the creative force behind WITASWAN (“Women in the Audience Supporting Women Artists Now”), and co-founder (with Martha Richards of WomenArts) of International SWAN Day.
The Illinois Division of AAUW (the American Association of University Women) named Huttner its “Agent of Change” for 2012. She has also received three “Silver Feather” awards for superior achievement from the Illinois Woman’s Press Association in 2005, 2006 and 2010, as well as two certificates from the National Federation of Press Women (IWPA’s parent) for online news posts and website development. Huttner is a member of WFCC (the Women Film Critics Circle) and NYWIFT (New York Women in Film & Television).
Get all of Jan’s posts news, opinions, and descriptions of WITASWAN events on her blog at www.thehotpinkpen.com>>
Huttner’s book, Penny’s Picks: 50 Movies by Women Filmmakers (2002-2011), a collection of reviews (many of which were originally posted by WomenArts) along with historical articles providing background on WITASWAN/SWAN Day, is available from Amazon in paperback and for Kindle readers.
Send comments to Jan at: jan_huttner at msn dot com or friend her on Facebook.
Reviews Posted on Jan’s Website – Films for Two
Jan and her husband Rich run a website called Films for Two that offers film reviews designed to help busy couples find films they will enjoy together. They post lists every month of the films that they recommend and do not recommend. For their recent recommendations, please visit the links below:
Recommended Films Playing in Theatres –
Recommended Films Available on DVD or VHS –
Recommended Films on Television/Cable
Other Reviewers & Resources
WomenArts has created a page with links to other websites with helpful information about women in film at: Websites About Women in Film